Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

dishonest pipes

View previous topic View next topic Go down

dishonest pipes

Post  sparrow on Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:07 pm

As part of the recent PIF disseminations (tip o' the hat to Ron), one of the pipes that PhiL wound up with was a small 'Parker' sandblasted billiard. In the description of the pipe, Ron had hinted that he thought it might be a fake. I thought that was rather interesting, since I'm not aware of having seen many fake pipes (that I know of). As chance would have it, the pipe didn't quite suit PhiL, so he traded it to me along with some burley in a little swap we arranged.

Today, after a long saturday morning of home-owner chores, I found myself sitting out on the patio this afternoon looking at a map for an upcoming kayak trip and enjoying my first smoke of the pipe. As I sat there, I couldn't help but to contemplate the mystery that Ron had mentioned.
houstonron44 wrote:It is a 29.5g Parker straight, SB Billiard. This is a Parker, made in London England not a Parker of London England. I don't think it has ever been smoked but I can't swear to it..There are no issues and it has a short, saddle stem. Now for the strange part regarding this Parker. This may turn out to be the basis for a lively debate. I have a sneaking suspicion that this pipe is a fake. It just does not feel quite right and there is no other nomenclature to support it either way.
I did some Googling on the topic...and sure enough none of the listed known markings for Parker matches up to this one.

LINK to Parker Markings

Here's a pic of the markings I took today. As you can see, it doesn't coincide with the nomenclature in the link above. And it also includes the typical Parker stem inlay...

So, I think it's an interesting little find. Either this is a real odball from Parker's history...or someone went to some amount of trouble to pass a fake. I can't help but wonder why they didn't try to fake a more expensive pipe, if the latter is true.

So...

Any SOB's have a source for more info on Parker markings? And the more amusing question...what stories of uncovered pipe forgeries do you guys have?

Regardless of the status of the pipe's origin... I like it. It is a fine piece of briar, well fashioned. It smokes superbly. I think I'll be enjoying it for quite a while indeed.

sparrow

Back to top Go down

Re: dishonest pipes

Post  Pstlpkr on Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:36 pm

This is one for the Treasury Dept.

Pstlpkr

Back to top Go down

Post  NoseWarmer on Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:17 pm

Hummm... Well the pipe fits you... Sorry for the possible fake...

NoseWarmer

Back to top Go down

Post  sparrow on Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:34 pm

NoseWarmer wrote:Sorry for the possible fake...

Oh, I don't think of it that way. It might be even more interesting if it is.

I do like the pipe, and plan to enjoy it. I'd just like to know more about Parker markings.

sparrow

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldmaus on Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:39 am

That is a nice looking pipe to boot. Smile

Oldmaus

Back to top Go down

more google stuff.. most info from pipes.org

Post  houstonron44 on Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:30 am

Found mention of counterfeit Peterson and Savinelli pipes in Chinese (Peoples Rep.) markets. Due to lack of good briar, many kinds of wood are substituted.. some heavy and clunky and some extremely light (woods not specified). Basic problem for mass producing fake pipes is that there is a scarcity of pipe making machinery unless they want to buy an existing pipe making company. Chinese have purchased old watch making machinery but money is not there yet for pipes. Today's fakes are from small, labor intensive shops making well known, medium priced brands sold for $8-$12. No Dunhills spotted but Dumhills have been seen.

houstonron44

Back to top Go down

Another Parker

Post  Guest on Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:05 am

I have a Parker that has markings unlike any shown too.
Mine has "Parker of London" inside a square on the bottom of the bowl,
then Jockey Clug under the shank and 344 under that.
I have no doubts it's a genuine Parker though.
David

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum